- Description of the Partnership
- Awareness raising video on biodiversity conservation by Toyota and IUCN
- Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050
- Previous IUCN–Toyota Events
Announced in 2016, a five-year partnership between International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) is significantly increasing knowledge on the extinction risk of more than 28,000 species, including many that are key food sources for humans.
The IUCN–Toyota Partnership is filling crucial gaps in The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™ by assessing species including mushrooms, spiders, trees, sardines and lizards. The work is helping IUCN’s effort to monitor the UN Sustainable Development Goal 15 – Life on Land. It will also improve the data used by policy makers and environmental planners to guide future decision-making and improve conservation action.
The partnership has already improved the functionality of The IUCN Red List through the delivery of a new web-based platform, improving public access to key conservation data.
Didier Leroy, Executive Vice President of Toyota Motor Corporation says, “When tackling threats to the global environment, it is important to act early and boldly with concrete steps that will make a difference in people’s lives. We did it in 1997 with Prius, and in 2014 with the hydrogen fuel cell MIRAI. But protecting the environment is not just about CO2 and emissions: biodiversity is equally important to human lives. By entering this partnership with IUCN, we are very proud to take an additional step toward the challenge of establishing a future society in harmony with nature.”
The private sector has a key role to play in supporting IUCN and others, to reverse the decline in biodiversity. This partnership demonstrates the important leadership role that Toyota is playing to combat biodiversity loss.
The IUCN – Toyota Partnership is driven by the Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050, which aims to reduce the negative impacts associated with automobiles to zero, whilst simultaneously making positive impacts on society. Through Challenge 6 of its Environmental Challenge, Toyota is taking a leadership role for both avoiding habitat destruction and putting the conservation and restoration of biodiversity at the centre of its plans. By entering this Partnership under Challenge 6, Toyota and IUCN are very proud to take an additional step toward the challenge of establishing a future society in harmony with nature. For more information, see the website.
- IUCN–Toyota Signing Ceremony (Geneva - 10/05/16)
- The Road Ahead: driving private sector engagement – a side event at the IUCN WCC event (Hawaii - 02/09/16)
- The Road Ahead : achieving SDG and Aichi Targets – a side event at CBD COP13 (Cancun - 07/12/16)
- The Road Ahead: The power of the private sector – a partnership event (Bangkok - 23/05/17)
- IUCN Red List update – a press conference (Tokyo - 05/12/17)
- The Road Ahead: From knowledge to action – a side event at CBD COP14 (Sharm el Sheik - 20/11/18