A vine endemic to the south of Ecuador, known from two populations last recorded in 1860. The type specimen was collected by W. Jameson on Cerro Pilzhum, previously Azuay province but now located inside Cañar province (Sparre and Andersson 1991). The second record is from Tahual, near Cuenca. According to the bibliography, W. Lobb probably collected the species with seeds which germinated in London in 1847. Later, the species was recommended for cultivation in Belgium, Germany and England for two to three years, but the plant did not survive the first flowering stage and was not introduced. However, some records occur in the Nicholson's Garden Dictionary of 1888. Some collections of Jameson and Lobb in Pilzhum, Ecuador, were recorded for Peru, Bolivia and Colombia, because the labels were written in Europe without the collectors' participation. Not known if the species is still cultivated. No specimens of this species are housed in Ecuadorean museums. Apart from habitat destruction, no specific threats are known.