Cercocebus sanjei 

Scope: Global
Language: English

Translate page into:

Taxonomy [top]

Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family
Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Cercopithecidae

Scientific Name: Cercocebus sanjei Mittermeier, 1986
Common Name(s):
English Sanje River Mangabey, Sanje Crested Mangabey, Sanje Mangabey
French Mangabé de la Sanje
Spanish Mangabey del Sanje
Cercocebus galeritus ssp. sanjei Mittermeier, 1986
Taxonomic Source(s): Mittermeier, R.A., Rylands, A.B. and Wilson D.E. 2013. Handbook of the Mammals of the World: Volume 3 Primates. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona.
Taxonomic Notes: Grubb et al. (2003) included this species in Cercocebus galeritus, but Groves (2005) and Kingdon (2001) considered it distinct.

Assessment Information [top]

Red List Category & Criteria: Endangered B1ab(iii,v) ver 3.1
Year Published: 2008
Date Assessed: 2008-06-30
Assessor(s): Ehardt, C., Butynski, T.M. & Struhsaker, T.
Reviewer(s): Mittermeier, R.A. & Rylands, A.B. (Primate Red List Authority)
Listed as Endangered based on its small extent of occurrence and fragmented population, with a substantial proportion of the population residing in an area of limited protection and where there are ongoing threats resulting in an ongoing decline in habitat and numbers of mature individuals.
Previously published Red List assessments:

Geographic Range [top]

Range Description:This species is known from the region of Mwanihana Forest and Udzwunga Scarp Forest Reserve, on the eastern slopes of the Udzungwa Mountains, Tanzania. It ranges from 400-1,300 m asl.
Countries occurrence:
Tanzania, United Republic of
Additional data:
Lower elevation limit (metres):400
Upper elevation limit (metres):1300
Range Map:Click here to open the map viewer and explore range.

Population [top]

Population:The population was originally estimated to be between 1,800 and 3,000 animals (Homewood and Rodgers 1981; Rodgers and Homewood 1982; Dinesen et al. 2001). Current population estimate likely does not exceed 1,300 individuals (Ehardt et al. 2005). Split into two distinct subpopulations: the largest subpopulation (ca. 60%) occurs within the recently established Udzungwa Mountains National Park, and the remaining ca. 40% in Udzungwa Scarp Forest Reserve (Ehardt 2001; Ehardt et al. 2005). Until recently, a third subpopulation was believed to exist in Ndundulu Forest Reserve, but surveys in 2004 confirm that the earlier reports by ornithologists (Dinesen et al. 2001) were based on misidentification of the primates present in this Forest Reserve (Ehardt and Butynski 2006).
Current Population Trend:Decreasing
Additional data:
Population severely fragmented:Yes

Habitat and Ecology [top]

Habitat and Ecology:This species is often found in the lower understory of submontane and montane forest, and spends ~50% of its time foraging on the forest floor (Ehardt et al. 2005; Ehardt and Butynski 2006). It frequently moves through and utilizes disturbed areas and mosaic habitat (Ehardt et al. 2005). Diet is strongly concentrated on fruit, nuts and seeds, as well as herbaceous material (Ehardt et al. 2005). Mean group sizes range from 15 to >40 animals (Wasser 1993; Ehardt 2001; Ehardt et al. 2005).

Threats [top]

Major Threat(s): It is threatened by continuing deforestation for timber and charcoal production. It is also threatened by hunting, including with dogs.

Conservation Actions [top]

Conservation Actions: This species is listed on Appendix II of CITES and on Class B of the African Convention on the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.

It is present in the Udzungwa Mountains National Park and Udzwunga Scarp Forest Reserve, Tanzania (Ehardt et al. 1999; Ehardt 2001; Ehardt et al. 2005; Ehardt and Butynski 2006). Efforts to expand the National Park boundaries to improve the level of protection in the Udzwunga Scarp Forest Reserve have been unsuccessful. Demographic surveys are needed. There is a need to enforce laws prohibiting hunting in forest reserves, and to increase prevention of habitat alteration.

Citation: Ehardt, C., Butynski, T.M. & Struhsaker, T. 2008. Cercocebus sanjei. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2008: e.T4203A10632228. . Downloaded on 22 September 2018.
Disclaimer: To make use of this information, please check the <Terms of Use>.
Feedback: If you see any errors or have any questions or suggestions on what is shown on this page, please provide us with feedback so that we can correct or extend the information provided