Use the links below to get access to IUCN Red List guidance and policy documents, and Red List assessment tools. For more information on the Red List assessment process itself (from assessment preparation and submission to publication on the IUCN Red List) click here.
For an overview of what the IUCN Red List is and how it can be used, see the Red List Brochure:
Click here to open and download the brochure.
Refer to all of the following documents when preparing IUCN Red List assessments.
IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria. Version 3.1.
Click here for additional translations.
Red List Criteria Summary Sheet.
Guidelines for Using the IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria.
This document is regularly updated: the current version is version 12 (February 2016). Please check that you have the current version before starting to prepare a Red List assessment.
Documentation Standards and Consistency Checks for IUCN Red List Assessments and Species Accounts.
This document is regularly updated: the current version is version 2.0 (September 2013). Please check that you have the current version before starting to prepare a Red List assessment.
Classification Schemes Guidance Documents.
Rules of Procedure: IUCN Red List assessment process 2013-2016 (version 2.0).
The Rules of Procedure also includes some policy documents as Annexes (e.g., Policy on Pre-publication Use of Red List Data, Sensitive Data Access Restrictions Policy). Each of the Annexes is made available here as a separate stand-alone document to make these more visible and accessible:
- Annex 1. Required and Recommended Supporting Information for IUCN Red List Assessments. Available in English.
- Annex 2. Steps involved in the IUCN Red List process, including work involved in pre-assessment, assessment, review, submission to the IUCN Red List Unit, and publication on the IUCN Red List. Available in English.
- Annex 3. Red List Assessment Resources. Available in English.
- Annex 4. Procedure for Handling of Petitions against Current Listings on The IUCN Red List of Threatened SpeciesTM. Available in English.
- Annex 5. Policy on Use of Pre-Publication Red List Data. Available in English.
- Annex 6. Sensitive Data Access Restrictions Policy for the IUCN Red List. Available in English.
In addition to the documents listed above, regional and national Red List Assessors should refer to the following document.
Guidelines for Application of IUCN Red List Criteria at Regional and National Levels. Version 4.0.
Click here for access to other translations.
IUCN has also published a range of policy documents relating to the IUCN Red List.
The IUCN Red List List of Threatened SpeciesTM Strategic Plan 2013-2020.
Available in English.
Guidelines for Appropriate Uses of Red List Data (version 2).
These Guidelines include Annexes with additional guidelines for reporting on the proportion of species that are threatened and guidelines on the scientific collecting of threatened species. Each of the Annexes is made available here as a separate stand-alone document to make these more visible and accesible:
- Annex 2. Guidelines on the Implementation of the "IUCN Policy Statement on Research Involving Species at Risk of Extinction", with special reference to Scientific Colecting of Threatened Species (version 1.0). Available in English.
A range of Red List assessment tools and policy documents relating to IUCN Red List assessments. In addition to the documents listed below, see the Publications page for other useful Red List documents.
Red List Tool: Generation Length.
Red List Tool: Criterion A.
Red List Tool: Red List Index.
Guidelines for Calculating and Using a Red List Index.